- Finished up intern projects for the summer and submitted a few papers to CHI 2020.
- I served as a guest judge for the final showcase for a design class at Berkeley! Super fun.
- Attended the awards ceremony for the Adobe Research Fellowship and Adobe Women-in-Technology Scholarship! Congrats to all the winners!
- A thing I worked on finally launched! Behance now has user livestreaming, and on some people’s streams, you can see an automatically generated set of chapters to help you navigate super-long stream video recordings!
- Tabled at the artist alley at Anime Expo! Like last year, I didn’t do any commissions, but I did do some original ink drawings and put them up for sale over the course of the convention! I also did a little art trade with my table neighbors.
- Managed to buy a table for 2020, so I’ll be at AX next year too! Woohoo!
- A Rune Factory 4 print is in the works!
- I made FFXIV character nametags! I’m so pleased with how they turned out.
- Much too late, but I finally got my Inktober 2018 book put together and printed!
- Made a little watercolor gift of my boyfriend’s FFXIV character.
- Haven’t been keeping up with weekly comics that well because the summer is so busy at work, but here’s a few comics I did that I’m proud of (and weirdly got a lot of social media traction):
- I got engaged!
- As part of our engagement date, we went The Game Parlour in SF and had fun trying a bunch of board games in their library! We ended up buying Dice Forge (you say it’s a crafting-based board game? Yes, please!)
- As a small move to improve my mental health, I’m trying to reduce the amount of news I encounter through social media. Deleting Twitter isn’t super realistic because it’s a primary way I keep up with a lot of my art friends, so I went through an unfollowed a lot of accounts I know talk about news-related stuff. I need to build a new habit of reading the news regularly on purpose rather than just kind of encountering it throughout my day. We’ll see how this works out!
- Had fun watching SGDQ 2019!
- Visited Seattle at the end of September to hang out with family! I took my niece and nephew to the Living Computer Museum and the Seattle Art Museum. I highly recommend looking at art with young children (my niece had some A+ commentary).
- Games: FFXIV Shadowbringers (SO GOOD. My fiance finally finished it a whole 2.5 months later, during which I was dying because I couldn’t chat about the story with him), Rune Factory 4 (finally beat it! Though I still haven’t managed to marry anyone in it because of the random event system :P), Earthbound (beat it! A wholesome story), Kingdom Hearts 3 (I’m still not sure what the story is, but I feel like I’ve fulfilled my promise to my 14 year old self to see this game series through at least this far), Untitled Goose Game (super fun, very mischievous)
- Levelled my AST and Bard! Finished leveling my crafters to 80! I need those role questsNot sure how I feel about healing
- FFXIV: Finished leveling my crafters to 80, finished leveling my Bard, and am nearly finished leveling my Astrologian! (Gotta get those optional role quests done for the extra story info!) I’m not sure how I feel about healing. I think I’ll stick with being a tank.
- Heard that there is going to be a Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town remake for the Switch! I really hope it’s good!
- Mobages: So much for trying to quit! Pokemon Masters came out (I found the gameplay a little boring though, so I might drop it for now and check again on it next year), and I’ve also been playing Ragnarok M like a madman. Dragalia Lost and Granblue Fantasy had updates to their story quests, so I caught up on those too.
- Anime: Fruits Basket (remake)
- Books: I… haven’t read any books these few months because I’ve been playing video games… 😛
- Podcasts: Hello From the Magic Tavern (finally caught up!), The Adventure Zone: Amnesty
- Submitted papers to CSCW and UIST 2019!
- I attended Creativity & Cognition 2019 in beautiful San Diego, CA! I participated as a Graduate Symposium mentor and as the chair for posters and demos this year. Thankfully, everything went great (super thanks to the hotel staff and local arrangements chairs for all their help)!
- Thanks to a couple of colleagues, I got to go out on a sailboat for the first time! :O
- I also attended CHI 2019 over in Glasgow, Scotland, UK!
- Participated as a industry career panelist for an annual Women in Computer Science event at Berkeley.
- Celebrated 6 years together with my boyfriend!
- Attended The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, and Me shows in San Jose with friends!
- I have a new lucky bamboo pal that I got free from work and that also survived a plane ride. We also got a new plant for our bathroom (her name is Freya and she’s a dieffenbachia!). And, after a lot of Youtube video-watching and a lot of anxiety, I tried cutting down Beatrix because she was getting kinda tall. Hopefully she keeps growing!
- My New Year’s resolution to be more eco-friendly is going well! This is just an eyeball estimate, but the amount of trash we throw away now per day is probably about 5 – 10% of what we used to throw away. It’s nuts. And it really doesn’t take that much longer to separate out organic waste from recyclable containers and rinse ’em out before throwing them into the recycling bin instead of the trash can. Another thing I want to start doing is ordering less stuff online (coughAmazoncough), or at least order things in big chunks instead of one or two items at a time. If all goes well I might even get rid of my Prime subscription 😛
- Spent a few days in London (following my trip to CHI in Glasgow)!
- Got my first Tarot reading at Treadwell’s Books! It was extremely confusing because I didn’t know what to ask about, but it was interesting.
- Had fancy tea time at Fortnum & Mason! The store itself is huge and full of cute tea accessories. I bought a tea tray and some tea (Chamomile & Bee Pollen, and Ginger and Sicilian Lemon, yum!)
- Visited the British Museum. I was surprised there was a manga exhibit? Unfortunately it wasn’t open at the time I was there!
- Grabbed some nice dessert at Cakes & Bubbles!
- I learned about the Jewish concept of Lashon Hara from this twitter thread that I found really good. (Basically, the idea is that, before you say something about someone, decide whether to say it based on whether it’s useful to say, rather than whether it’s true or not.) I do find I sometimes have to catch myself before saying something potentially harmful (sometimes because my anxiety gets the better of me and I’m scrambling to fill silence in a conversation, and other times because I still don’t have a good sense of the line between teasing someone and just being mean).
- Games: FFXIV (leveled all my gatherers and crafters to 70, and I’m starting to level my first healer, AST!), Granblue Fantasy (I know, I know, I’ve been trying to quit mobages, but the summer event was wild), Cadence of Hyrule (it’s super hard), Atelier Rorona (my first Atelier game! It’s super cute and addicting)
- E3 announcements: the FFXIV Shadowbringers trailer teased some crazy lore bombs, I’m definitely getting Collection of Mana, Animal Crossing was delayed (but that’s OK!), and holy moly there’s going to be a Breath of the Wild 2!
- We got the FFXIV Cactpot board game on a whim, heh! It’s actually pretty fun.
- We also an Oculus Quest! The only thing I do on it is play Beat Saber though. I wonder what else I can do with it?
- Anime: JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (didn’t like it as much as Stardust Crusaders, but still fun, and Bruno really stole the show for me), Mob Psycho 100 II (so, so, so good),
- Not quite anime, but the Detective Pikachu movie was fun!
- Books: Daily Painting, The Miracle of Mindfulness, Circe, The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, Gender Queer, Why We Sleep
- Attended my company’s big internal technical conference (Tech Summit) in February! I even gave a talk on how cool crowdsourcing is! (Since, you know, that’s my area of expertise.) It was a good chance to learn about what engineers in the company are up to.
- I’m one of the posters & demos chairs for Creativity & Cognition 2019 this year! This involves a lot of, well, organizing and (real talk here) floundering because this is my first time organizing ANYTHING for a conference! But it’s a lot of fun — I hope I can help make the conference a good experience for everyone!
- Had a great time watching AGDQ 2019!
- I really enjoyed the Rayman 2 run (really great commentary); watching Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight made me want to play it; and of course, enjoyed the TASBot block.
- Killed my first succulent But I got another one! I now know to keep them away from humidifiers and closer to sunny windows.
- I went to a cat show near me on a whim! It was really interesting and fun! I have no idea how the judging works, but it was neat seeing all the pretty cats and the judges’ commentary on them.
- I got really into tarot in the past couple months! (The deck I bought was the Kawaii Tarot.) I’ve always been a bit of a interest in folklore, superstition, and religion, and am super fascinated about how these have developed over time and how different cultures and times have related to it. It seems like a fun brainstorming tool — I’ve seen a couple of blog posts around on how people use tarot to write stories or develop characters. I’m going to have to try it out!
- Kept up with my regular DMing sessions and also played in a friend’s one-shot Mage game where I was a cranky goddess disguised as a village elder! I enjoyed being a cranky old lady.
- As one of my New Year’s resolutions, I’m trying to be more eco-friendly! I’m focusing on recycling things I didn’t before (cough take-out containers and boba cups) and now have a compost bag in our house for organic waste. I also bought a reusable boba cup and straw that I’ve already made good use out of because I drink way too much boba!
- Games: FFXIV patch 4.5 (leveled all my gatherers to 60+ too!), Celeste (fun, challenging, easy to pick up anytime kind of game!), The Return of the Obra Dinn (spooky and difficult, very rewarding), Granblue Fantasy (What Makes the Sky Blue III), Let’s Go Pikachu, Doki Doki Literature Club (why. why did I play this.)
- Still playing through Kingdom Hearts 3 and Smash Ultimate. Started up Rune Factory 4 again, too! (Hopefully I’ll finally get through the third story arc so I can finish the game!)
- Boardgames: Wingspan (cute, easy game), 2-player Betrayal at the House on the Hill (works surprisingly well!)
- Anime: She-Ra (cute), That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (positive and fun fantasy shenanigans), SSSS Gridman (I was really into this, but the ending kinda got away), Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (fun so far, not sure how I feel about Giorno!), Kaguya-sama: Love is War (REALLY FUN. I think my favorite anime of the season!), Hinamatsuri (funny, great animation, really sweet), Gintama, Skull Face Bookseller Honda-san (ok funny, good background show), Neo Yokio (So. SO. SO BAD. SO BAD IT’S GOOD? What did I watch??)
- Tried: Zombieland Saga, Saint Seiya Saintia Sho
- Not anime, but I finished watching all of Friends on Netflix, so I guess I’m officially caught up on pop culture now.
- Books: Way of the House Husband, The Creative Tarot, Enchantments, Grimoires: A History of Magic Books, Light Magic for Dark Times, Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Vol. 8, My Solo Exchange Diary, The Power of Myth, Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes
- I’m so proud of myself for reading more this year!